Self-taught, rebellious, always curious, he does not like to impose limits. In his trajectory there are three defining moments. During the first years he explores and works with figurative concepts, based on nature. In a second period, he advances towards abstraction by exploring simple geometric forms. Without abandoning references to nature, the human body appears, a theme that is repeated and in which he continues to investigate over the years. Nowadays, Arturo Álvarez is developing new forms of expression and language, with light as the main theme and the human being and his relationships as the protagonist, with its lights and shadows, encounters and disagreements, issues that concern him and in which he delves through different techniques and materials.
The recognition of his work, throughout his twenty-five year career, has come in the form of prestigious international awards and numerous awards as an innovator in the field of light.
– O Alvorecer das Conversas. Galería Nave Curadoira, Lisboa. 2019.
– Formas do deseño. Galicia XXI. Galicia Audiotorium, Santiago de Compostela. Fundación DIDAC. 2019.
– Mint luminates. Mint shop gallery. Brompton Design District. London design festival. 2018
– Light and solstice. Ephemeral installation in “Areal de Berres”. Vedra. 2018
– Spanish Masters exhibition (Salvador Dalí, Antoni Gaudí & Arturo Álvarez). DDC Gallery. New York. 2018
– Art Madrid´18. CentroCentro Cibeles. Madrid. Luisa Pita Gallery. 2018
– Mint luminates. Mint shop gallery. Brompton Design District. London design festival. 2017
– Soidades das falas. Luisa Pita Gallery. Santiago de Compostela. 2017
– Artwork series. ICFF Gallery. ICFF. New York. 2017
– 12 miradas de Arturo Álvarez. Vilaseco Gallery. A Coruña. Spain. 2016
– Arts & Crafts, Design and sustainability in Galicia s.XXI. Torrente Ballester space.
– Installation in Arco with Dardo Magazine. Madrid 2015
– Contradicións. Adhoc Gallery. Vigo. 2015
– Et facta est lux. Gas Natural Fenosa Museum. A Coruña. 2014
– Permanent installation in the coffee shop Ferradura. Santiago de Compostela. 2013
– Ephemeral installation in “Hostal dos Reis Católicos”. Santiago de Compostela. 2013
– Eros. Bus Station Space. Santiago de Compostela. 2013
– The volume of light Factoría Compostela. Santiago de Compostela. 2011
– Concepts and designs for a new century. Museum of Decorative Arts. Barcelona. 2007