Self-taught, rebellious, always curious, I don’t like to set limits. There are three defining moments in his career. During the early years he explored and worked with figurative concepts, based on nature. In a second period, he moves towards abstraction, exploring simple geometric shapes. It is not a question of abandoning references to nature, appearances or the human body, a theme that he repeats and not that has been investigated for two years. Today Arturo Álvarez develops new forms of expression and language, with light as the central theme of the human being and his relationships as protagonists, with his light and shadow, encounters and disagreements, issues that concern us and the depth of different techniques and materials.
Recognition of his work, a two-year and twenty-five-year career, came in the form of prestigious international awards and numerous awards as an innovator in the field of light.
In July 2020, the creator Arturo Álvarez put an end to a stage in his working and creative life by selling the lamp company that he founded 25 years ago. His work currently focuses on making sculptures, unique or limited pieces, with light as the common thread. He will continue to defend the same values that gave him international recognition: honesty, professionalism and a humanistic vision of life.
• Alvorecer das Conversas. Galería Nave Curadoira, Lisboa 2019.
• Formas do deseño. Galicia XXI. Galicia Audiotorium, Santiago de Compostela. Fundación DIDAC. 2019.
• Mint luminates. Mint shop gallery. Brompton Design District. London design festival. 2018
• Light and solstice. Ephemeral installation in “Areal de Berres”. Vedra. 2018
• Spanish Masters exhibition (Salvador Dalí, Antoni Gaudí & Arturo Álvarez). DDC Gallery. New York. 2018
• Art Madrid´18. CentroCentro Cibeles. Madrid. Luisa Pita Gallery. 2018
• Mint luminates. Mint shop gallery. Brompton Design District. London design festival. 2017
• Soidades das falas. Luisa Pita Gallery. Santiago de Compostela. 2017
• Artwork series. ICFF Gallery. ICFF. New York. 2017
• 12 miradas de Arturo Álvarez. Vilaseco Gallery. A Coruña. Spain. 2016
• Arts & Crafts, Design and sustainability in Galicia s.XXI. Torrente Ballester space. Ferrol. 2016
• Installation in Arco with Dardo Magazine. Madrid 2015
• Contradicións. Adhoc Gallery. Vigo. 2015
• Et facta est lux. Gas Natural Fenosa Museum. A Coruña. 2014
• Permanent installation in the coffee shop Ferradura. Santiago de Compostela. 2013
• Ephemeral installation in “Hostal dos Reis Católicos”. Santiago de Compostela. 2013
• Eros. Bus Station Space. Santiago de Compostela. 2013
• The volume of light Factoría Compostela. Santiago de Compostela. 2011
• Concepts and designs for a new century. Museum of Decorative Arts. Barcelona. 2007